THE ULTIMATE QUICHE LORRAINE – MY PARISIAN KITCHEN
Provided by: Florence RICHOMME
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
|200 gr plain flour|
|100 gr cold butter|
|2 gr salt|
|25 cl cream|
|20 cl whole milk|
|250 gr bacon (preferably smoked, cubed)|
|1 pinch nutmeg (optional)|
- If you do not use a ready-made pastry, start by preparing it. Follow the steps in the recipe explained step by step in photo using this link (using the quantities given here, thus flour and butter quantities are different, no sugar of course. As for water, add water a little at a time until you have the perfect texture for your dough). Sift flour and salt together. Rub in butter until you have a soft breadcrumb texture. Add water until you get a nice dough.
- Let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Roll out the dough and drape it over your mold coverd with parchment paper (or greased if you prefer). Gently push the dough down into the mold and help it fit to the shape of the mold (on the bottom and all around the side of the mold). Lightly prick the bottom of the crust with a fork. Pour over another parchment paper (or foiand fill in with dry beans, rice, cores or any “cooking pie weights” that will make the parchment paper stick to the pie crust.
- Blind bake (pre-bakin the oven for 10 min.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling. In a large bowl, vigorously beat with a fork the 5 eggs, just as you would do for an omelet. Add cream and milk and beat again. At this stage you may want to add nutmeg.
- Remove the pie weights and let the pie crust cool a bit. Put all over the dough bacon cubes, then pour over the egg-cream-milk batter.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 350°F/180 °C (or 40 minutes if you have skipped the pre-bake step).
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
AVOCADO PASTRY QUICHE | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPES
Provided by: Jamie Oliver
Total time: 1 hours
|2 ripe avocados|
|extra virgin olive oil|
|400g self-raising flour plus extra for dusting|
|6 large eggs|
|300 g frozen peas|
|90 g Cheddar cheese|
|½ a bunch of basil (15g)|
|100 g bag of mixed salad|
- Halve, destone and peel the avocados. Weigh the flesh – you want 200g to get your ratios right (if you don’t have enough, simply top up to 200g with extra virgin olive oil). In a large bowl, smash up the avo, then gradually rub in the flour, a pinch of sea salt and 4 tablespoons of cold water until you have a dough. Knead until smooth, then wrap and rest for 15 minutes. For the filling, crack the eggs into a blender, then add the frozen peas and most of the Cheddar. Rip in the top leafy half of the basil, add a pinch of salt and black pepper, and blitz until smooth.
Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6. Roll out the avocado pastry on a flour-dusted surface to just under ½cm thick. Loosely roll it up around the rolling pin, then unroll it over an oiled 25cm x 35cm baking tray, ease it into the sides and prick the base. Roughly tear off any big bits of overhang, then bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden. Evenly pour in the filling and bake for another 15 minutes, or until set, then finely grate over the remaining cheese. Dress the salad leaves with extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice, season, then sprinkle over the quiche to serve.
Calories 764 calories, FatContent 52.6 g fat, SaturatedFatContent 11.3 g saturated fat, ProteinContent 21 g protein, CarbohydrateContent 55.9 g carbohydrate, SugarContent 2.4 g sugar, SodiumContent 1.1 g salt, FiberContent 4.9 g fibre