DELICIOUS SQUASH DAAL WITH FRIED EGG | VEGETABLE RECIPES | JAMIE OLIVER
Provided by: Jamie Oliver
Total time: 1 hours
Yield: 2 + 6 leftover daal portions
|8 cloves of garlic|
|2 fresh red chillies|
|3 teaspoons black mustard seeds|
|1 heaped teaspoon cumin seeds|
|1 handful of curry leaves|
|1 x 5cm piece of ginger|
|1 bunch of fresh coriander (30g)|
|½ a butternut squash (600g)|
|500 g split red lentils|
|3 tablespoons natural yoghurt|
|2 large free-range eggs|
|4 uncooked poppadoms|
|2 handfuls of baby spinach|
- Start by making a temper. Peel the garlic, then finely slice with the chillies, ideally 1mm thick on a mandolin (use the guard!).
- Pour 2 tablespoons of oil into a large wide pan on a medium heat and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves for 1 minute, then the garlic and chillies.
- Stir so everything’s flat, moving regularly until crisp and lightly golden. With a slotted spoon, remove half the temper to a plate, taking the pan off the heat.
- Peel the onions and ginger and finely chop with the coriander stalks, then chop the squash into 2cm cubes, leaving the skin on but discarding any seeds. Stir it all into the pan and return to a medium heat for 15 minutes to soften.
- Stir in the lentils, then 1.5 litres of boiling water. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer and cover for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mash the squash into the daal, taste and season to perfection. Remove 6 portions, bag them up and, once completely cool, freeze for a rainy day when you’ll be really grateful it’s there, leaving the rest on a low heat to keep warm.
- Blitz the coriander leaves, yoghurt, a pinch of sea salt and half the lime juice in a blender until smooth, then decant into a small bowl.
- Reheat the reserved temper in a non-stick frying pan on a medium-low heat with 1 teaspoon of oil, then divide into two piles and crack an egg over each. Cover and leave to slowly fry on the bottom for 2 or 3 minutes, while they coddle on top.
- One-by-one, puff up your dry poppadoms in the microwave for around 30 seconds each.
- Top each portion of daal with a fried egg, and pop some spinach, dressing, poppadoms and a lime wedge on the side.
Calories 239 calories, FatContent 11.6 g fat, SaturatedFatContent 2.5 g saturated fat, ProteinContent 14.6 g protein, CarbohydrateContent 22.3 g carbohydrate, SugarContent 7.3 g sugar, SodiumContent 1 g salt, FiberContent 3.4 g fibre
SALMON WITH LENTILS AND MUSTARD-HERB BUTTER (SAUMON AUX LENTILLES …
Provided by: Shelley Wiseman
Total time: 50 min
Cook time: 40 min
Yield: Makes 4 servings
|5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened|
|1 tablespoon chopped chives|
|1 teaspoon chopped tarragon|
|2 teaspoons grainy mustard|
|2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice|
|1 cup French green lentils|
|4 cups water|
|2 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only)|
|1 tablespoon unsalted butter|
|1/2 to 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice|
|4 (6-ounce) pieces skinless salmon fillet|
|2 tablespoons unsalted butter|
- Stir together all ingredients with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Bring lentils, water, and 3/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a heavy medium saucepan, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are just tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid, then drain lentils.
- While lentils cook, chop leeks, then wash . Cook leeks in butter in a heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add lentils with reserved cooking liquid to leeks along with 3 tablespoons mustard-herb butter and cook, stirring, until lentils are heated through and butter is melted. Add lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and keep warm, covered.
- Pat salmon dry and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper (total).
- Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until foam subsides, then sauté salmon, turning once, until golden and just cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes total.
- Serve salmon, topped with remaining mustard-herb butter, over lentils.
How to cook filet mignon in the oven?
Preparation On a cutting board, pat the filet mignon dry with paper towels and let sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 450˚F (230˚C). Generously season all sides of the filet mignon with salt and pepper. Heat a medium, oven-safe stainless steel or cast iron skillet over high heat for 5 minutes. Add the grapeseed oil.
What are the ingredients in a filet mignon fillet?
Ingredients 1 12 oz. (356 g) filet mignon steak (2 pieces 6 oz. /170 g each) 2 Maldon sea salt flakes 3 freshly ground black pepper 4 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 5 4 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly pounded 6 3 sprigs rosemary 7 3 tablespoons unsalted butter More …
How many filet mignon’s do I Need?
*Recipe can be made using 1 – 6 filet mignon’s as long as they are nearly the same size. If using more than 4, or if the 4 you have are fairly long then sear in two batches so skillet isn’t overcrowded and they brown nicely.
Is this the best filet mignon steak ever?
This is the best filet mignon steak ever. It is perfect with the most tender, juiciest, buttery medium-well steak that rival the best steak restaurant. This is quite possibly the most spectacular piece of steak you’ll ever make at home, just like Gordon Ramsey!