HOW TO MAKE KIMCHI (TRADITIONAL RECIPE) | REVOLUTION FERMENTATION
Here is the version of this famous Korean spicy sauerkraut from our humble Canadian homes, which has captured many hearts. les recettes de laurent mariotte recettes.
Provided by: Jean-Luc Henry
Categories: Side Dish
Prep time: 30 minutes
|1 kg Chinese cabbage ( (nappa cabbage or giant bok choy))|
|1 daikon (Japanese white radish) (or 50g red radish (about 5))|
|1 yellow onion ((about 1))|
|2 chopped garlic cloves|
|2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger|
|3 teaspoons Korean chili peppers ((or other crushed chili peppers))|
|2 tablespoons sea salt ((or weight equivalent to 2% of total weight))|
|1 tablespoon dried fish or shrimp sauce* (optional)|
- Cut the cabbage and the onion into small pieces.
- Grate the daikon and carrot.
- Chop the garlic and ginger very finely.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Wait 15 minutes, until the vegetables have released their liquid.
- Put in each jar and compress well.
- Add a weight and close the jar.
- Let ferment for at least 3 days before tasting. Kimchi is usually best after 3 or 4 days of fermentation. If the mixture is ready, refrigerate it in an airtight container. If not, let it ferment further while tasting every 2 days.