BEST BOLOGNESE RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
Provided by: Andy Baraghani
Yield: 4 servings
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|1 celery stalk, chopped|
|1 small carrot, peeled, chopped|
|3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil|
|1 lb. ground beef chuck (20% fat), patted dry|
|3 oz. thinly sliced pancetta, finely chopped|
|1 cup dry white wine|
|⅓ cup tomato paste|
|1 bay leaf|
|Pinch of finely grated nutmeg|
|2 cups (or more) homemade chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth|
|1 cup whole milk|
|1 lb. fresh tagliatelle or pappardelle, or dry rigatoni|
|2 oz. finely grated Parmesan (about ½ cup), plus more for serving|
- Pulse onion, celery, and carrot in a food processor until very finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or other large pot over medium. Break beef into small clumps (about 1½”) and add to pot; season lightly with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally but not breaking meat apart, until beef is lightly browned but not crisp, 6–8 minutes. It may be gray in spots (that’s okay!) and still a little pink in the center. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a medium bowl.
- Wipe out pot. Cook pancetta in pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until pancetta has released some of its fat and is crisp, 6–8 minutes. Add onion mixture to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very soft and beginning to stick to surface, 6–8 minutes.
- Return beef to pot and pour in wine. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, smashing down on beef with a wooden spoon, until wine is evaporated, surface of pot is almost dry, and meat is finely ground, 12–15 minutes. (The meat should be reduced to what looks like little bits. It takes a bit of effort, but you can take breaks.) Add tomato paste, bay leaf, and nutmeg and cook, stirring occasionally and still pressing down on meat, until tomato paste is slightly darkened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour stock and milk into pot; add a pinch of salt. Reduce heat to the lowest setting and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until meat is very, very tender, 2–2½ hours. There shouldn’t be any rapid bubbles at this stage. Instead, the sauce should release the occasional small bubble or two. When finished, the sauce should have the texture of and look like a sloppy joe mixture. If the liquid reduces before the meat is completely tender, add an extra ½ cup stock and continue cooking. Discard bay leaf. Taste sauce and adjust seasoning with salt; keep warm.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water. If using fresh pasta, cook about 3 minutes. If using dry, cook until very al dente, about 2 minutes less than package directions.
- Using tongs, transfer pasta to pot with sauce. Add 1 cup pasta cooking liquid and ½ cup Parmesan. Increase heat to medium, bring to a simmer, and cook, tossing constantly, until pasta is al dente and liquid is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer pasta to a platter and top with more Parmesan.
Do Ahead: Sauce can be made 4 days ahead. Cover and chill.
BLACK BOTTOM CUPCAKES RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Laura Duncan Allen
Categories: Chocolate Cake
Total time: 1 hours 0 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 24 cupcakes
|1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened|
|1 large egg|
|⅓ cup white sugar|
|⅛ teaspoon salt|
|1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips|
|1 ½ cups all-purpose flour|
|1 cup white sugar|
|¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder|
|1 teaspoon baking soda|
|½ teaspoon salt|
|1 cup water|
|⅓ cup vegetable oil|
|1 tablespoon cider vinegar|
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 12-cup muffin tins or line with paper cups.
- Beat cream cheese, egg, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in chocolate chips; set aside.
- Mix together flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center; add water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Stir together until well blended.
- Fill the prepared muffin tins about 1/3 full with chocolate batter. Top each with a dollop of cream cheese mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the chocolate cake comes out clean and the cream cheese center is set, 25 to 30 minutes.
Calories 171.2 calories, CarbohydrateContent 22.4 g, CholesterolContent 18 mg, FatContent 8.9 g, FiberContent 0.9 g, ProteinContent 2.3 g, SaturatedFatContent 3.9 g, SodiumContent 145 mg, SugarContent 15.1 g