GENERAL TAO CHICKEN RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Mel
Categories: Chinese Recipes
Total time: 50 minutes
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
|2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into bite-size pieces|
|¼ cup cornstarch|
|2 large eggs|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|½ teaspoon ground black pepper|
|6 tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|1 teaspoon baking powder|
|½ cup vegetable oil|
|½ cup chopped green onion|
|2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root|
|4 teaspoons sesame oil|
|½ cup water|
|½ cup white sugar|
|¼ cup distilled white vinegar|
|2 tablespoons cornstarch|
|2 tablespoons soy sauce|
|¼ cup oyster sauce|
|¼ cup ketchup|
- Coat chicken pieces with cornstarch in a bowl; set aside.
- Beat eggs, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl until combined. Stir in flour and baking powder until no large lumps remain. Mix in chicken pieces until evenly coated.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Cook chicken in hot oil until golden brown and no longer pink on the inside, about 12 minutes. Set chicken aside; keep warm.
- Make sauce: Reduce heat to medium-high; add green onion, ginger, and sesame oil to the skillet. Cook and stir until onion is limp and ginger begins to brown, about 1 minute. Pour in water, sugar, and vinegar; bring to a boil.
- Dissolve cornstarch in soy sauce in a small bowl and stir into vinegar mixture along with oyster sauce and ketchup. Cook until sauce has thickened and is no longer cloudy. Stir in chicken; simmer until heated through.
Calories 522.4 calories, CarbohydrateContent 34.5 g, CholesterolContent 148.1 mg, FatContent 26.8 g, FiberContent 0.7 g, ProteinContent 35.1 g, SaturatedFatContent 4.9 g, SodiumContent 1054.6 mg, SugarContent 19.4 g